Tired of the same old green salads? This recipe should be called the Super Simple Summer Salad! Grilled eggplant, sun-dried (or fresh) tomatoes, fresh basil, red onion, arugula and olive oil = mediterranean magic! I was transported back to my travels in Italy and Greece. Make it today (and devour it tomorrow, as it requires an overnight to really develop the flavour).
- – 1 large eggplant (sliced into 1" thick pieces)
- – 4 ounces sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
- – ¼ cup fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- – 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- – 4 cups arugula (washed and spun dry)
- – ¼ red onion (sliced thinly)
- – Preheat grill and cook eggplant 10-15 minutes flipping every few minutes and keeping a close eye to prevent charring (will be on the crisp side).
- – Remove eggplant and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- – Place tomato (if using sun-dried; if using fresh, wait until right before serving to add), basil and oil in food processor.
- – Whiz until coarsely chopped.
- – Place in glass or ceramic bowl and stir eggplant in and cover tightly.
- – Chill overnight; remove from refrigerator 10 – 15 minutes before serving on top of arugula, with onion on top of that as a starter or add your favorite protein to create a full meal.
Recipe credit: www.paleoista.com
*Not suitable for those avoiding nightshades.